The breast reduction procedure begins with an incision, which is made around the areola, the dark circle of skin surrounding the nipple, and below the natural curve of the breast. Next, excess fat, glandular tissue and skin are removed and the remaining skin is tightened around the newly contoured breast. The procedure may take up to three hours and is performed under anesthesia on an outpatient basis.
Although swelling, temporary bruising, and some pain is likely, these side effects diminish and disappear as the breasts heal.
* Results and patient experience may vary.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY?
Having more beautiful breasts does not necessarily mean bigger breasts. Overly large breasts can cause health problems, physical pain and discomfort, self-image concerns, and emotional distress. They can attract unwanted attention, cause a woman to feel self-conscious, and impair her ability to be physically active.
You may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if:
- You are troubled by feeling that your breasts are too large
- You have difficulty finding bras and clothes to fit
- The size of your breasts limits your physical activities
- You experience neck, back, and shoulder pain from the weight of your breasts
- You have skin irritation within the breast crease
- You have indentations in your shoulders from your bra straps
- Your posture is suffering from the weight of your breasts causing your shoulders to roll forward
- You want to reduce your breasts by two sizes or more
DOES MEDICAL INSURANCE COVER BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY?
A breast reduction procedure may be covered by insurance if it is considered to be medically necessary. This is determined by using a scale that compares the amount of tissue to be removed from the breasts to the overall body surface area. A minimum amount of tissue must be removed in relation to the body surface area for insurance to cover the procedure. Most insurance will not cover this procedure if the patient has a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35. Breast reduction surgery is only covered for patients who want to reduce their breasts by two sizes or more.
BENEFITS OF BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
Our skilled plastic surgeons perform breast reduction surgery by removing excess breast tissue, fat, and skin to make the breasts smaller, firmer, and lighter, reduce sagging, and improve symmetry. Benefits of breast reduction surgery include:
- Lifted, firmer more youthful looking breasts
- Breasts better proportioned with the rest of the body, creating a more attractive silhouette
- Large nipples and stretched areolas reduced
- Physical pain and discomfort alleviated, including back, neck, and shoulder pain, bra strap grooves, and skin irritation beneath the breast crease
- Resolve limitations on physical activities from overly large breasts
- Bras, swimsuits, and form-fitting clothes fit, look, and feel better
- Improved self-image and greater self-confidence
At Advanced Skin Care, Dermatology, and Plastic Surgery in Fullerton and Newport Beach, we believe that the patient experience is everything. We address the entire patient, not just the procedure, and work together to ensure that your treatment experience is comfortable, warm, and professional, from start to finish.
We are not simply a cosmetic facility, but rather a whole-patient practice. Our number one goal is for you to look and feel your best.